the Evangel … an announcement06-03-2012 - Posted by Andre Piet
Paul, in his letters, insists that the Gospel is not “in accord with man” (Gal.1:11). It is “in accord with man” to act in harmony with the principle of “one good turn deserves another”: We perform things for God and He blesses us in return. This idea is characteristic for every religion, including the Christian variation thereof. It is the principle of “work”, that entitles us to receive a wage (Rom.4:4). It is diametrically opposed to grace, which is absolutely “free”. The Evangel is not an assignment or a command, but announcement; a message with, among other things, the following content:
- There is one GOD, Who wants all men to be saved (1Tim. 2:4);
- The Man, Christ Jesus gave Himself a ransom for all (1Tim. 2:6);
- The Living God is the Saviour of all mankind (1Tim.4:10);
- The risen Christ is the guarantee that death will be abolished (1Cor.15:22,26);
- As in Adam all men are condemned to die, so also in Christ all men will be justified and be made alive beyond the reach of death (Rom.5:18; 1Cor.15:22).
Each of these are clear-cut declarations, to which nothing can be added or subtracted. Why are these statements made? In order that people would believe and so would greatly benefit by them. For the Evangel is the power of God … for everyone who believes (Rom.1:16).
For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same One is Lord OF all, being rich for all who are invoking Him. Romans 10:12